Weimar College Philippines Mission Trip 2017
Experience Mission, Experience the Philippines, and Experience God’s Love. This year Weimar College’s mission trip is to Penaranda in the Philippines. The trip is scheduled for May 22 – June 8 and will include evangelistic meetings, medical and dental clinics, health education and expos, children’s ministry and construction. Come help us make a difference in hurting people’s lives.
Why the Philippines – Because they need us:
- In the Penaranda area, the average salary is ~$5/day. Imagine how long you’d have to work to pay your weekly grocery bill. Additionally, according to the World Health Organization ~20% of people in the Philippines make less than $1/day (apps.who.int/nutrition/landscape/report.aspx?iso=phl ).
- Over 50% of the children are underweight or stunted in growth due to malnutrition (http://apps.who.int/nutrition/landscape/report.aspx?iso=phl)
- The number of HIV cases have increased by 2500% in the last 8 years (http://www.doh.gov.ph/stat_of_the_month).
- Diarrhea kills nearly 10,000 kids every year in the Philippines! Forty percent of which could be prevented by basic hygiene (http://www.gmanetwork.com/news/story/119921/news/nation/diarrhea-kills-10-000-pinoy-kids-every-year-who , https://www.unicef.org/philippines/mediacentre_10168.html)
- “7 out of 10 children (aged 3-12) suffer from intestinal worms” (https://www.unicef.org/philippines/mediacentre_10168.html)
- “Under-nutrition in the Philippines remains a serious problem. The damage to health, physical growth and brain development of children affected by chronic under-nutrition—stunting in the first two years—is often irreversible, impairing them for life and leaving them with lower chances of finishing school and becoming highly-productive adults. Stunting, iron and iodine deficiencies impact learning abilities and intelligence of children. Studies show that populations affected by iodine deficiency have 10 – 15 IQ points less than those not affected.” –UNICEF (https://www.unicef.org/philippines/health_nutrition.html)
- There is no Adventist church in Penaranda